English Learner (EL) Program
What is the District policy on EL services?
The mission of the Strongsville City Schools is to ensure all students reach their fullest potential, through challenging curriculum and activities provided by a highly qualified, motivated staff, in a safe, supportive environment with up-to-date facilities and technology—in partnership with the community. Therefore, students who are English Learners (EL) are provided with a variety of instructional services that are designed to meet their unique needs. Services may include EL direct services; work modifications and accommodations; or, teacher consultations.
How are EL students identified?
- A Home Language Survey is completed at the time of registration. If the survey indicates a home language other than English, the Home Language Survey is forwarded to the EL office.
- An EL teacher administers a language assessment. Parents are notified of test results.
- A student scoring less than proficient will be considered Limited English Proficient or an EL student.
What happens once a child is identified as EL?
Parents are notified of the EL services which meet the language development needs of the student and are asked to accept or decline services.
- Elementary school services may include a before-school program, tutoring during the school day, inclusion, or monitoring.
- Middle school services may include a before-school program, EL support during the school day, or monitoring.
- High school services may include EL English, EL Intensive English, EL support, or monitoring. All instruction follow the LEP and Ohio Academic Content Standards.
How long will a child receive EL services?
EL students will receive EL services until they reach English proficiency as determined by the Ohio English Language Proficiency Assessment (OELPA) administered annually each spring. A notification letter will be sent to the parents when a student is EXITED.
CHAPMAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL & STRONGSVILLE MIDDLE SCHOOL:
KINSNER, MURASKI & SURRARRER ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS:
WHITNEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL:
STRONGSVILLE HIGH SCHOOL:
Director of Curriculum